Thursday, November 22, 2012

AND THERE SHALL BE WARS (Excerpts 1)


Wednesday, October 16, 1940     I went to the [Hermantown] Town Hall this morning and registered for the draft.
      I had to listen to some of Pa's grumbling first. He says we should mind our own business and not get involved in another war. He's often said we had no business being over there during the Great War, but maybe if I do have to serve a year now, it just might help to prevent another war.
     Anyway, it's the law: "You register today, October 16." I had some idea what might happen if I didn't register today too, and I wonder where I'll end up if I do have to go.
     A lady asked lots of questions, like all the vital statistics, then someone who would always know your address if it changed.

Monday, April 14, 1941     I've been using both Pa's team of horses and my own to haul manure with the new spreader.
     We got 200 baby chicks a few days ago.
     My summons to go into the Army came this week. I'm to go on Thursday. I went to the Draft Board to ask for a few more days to finish up some things, but they wouldn't do it.
     I haven't made many preparations yet. I did buy a vest-pocket camera, though, for $8.50.

Tuesday, April 22, 1941     We were herded together this morning, and told we were going to be shipped to the 151st Field Artillery at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.
     Waited around until 2:00, then hiked to the Depot in Minneapolis.
     Left at 3 p.m. Got down to the Iowa line by tonight.
     We are in a Pullman coach. The black porter made up the berths. I had an upper one alone. Slept better than I thought I would.

Saturday, June 21, 1941     Inspection at 10:30. Cleaned up. Hot. Sweat was running down my legs while we were at attention, and soaked through the chino pants. It looks black. It's odd the old colonel didn't chew us out for sweating.
     Washed clothes. Rained some this p.m. Pan and Topel were out, and came back feeling good.
     The usual supper tonight of cold meats, salad and fig bars.
     Nelson cut my hair. Weniss, Nelson and I went to the canteen. Had pop. Played in Nelson's tent. Fellows are playing cards in here tonight. I'm looking over my things.

Tuesday, June 24, 1941     We were all set to go out in the field, and were in the gun park when I heard Col. Lindberg give the officers heck.
     Later, he called us anti-tank men together and told we had to make something out of wood to resemble a 37 mm gun.
     We went back to camp, and some of us were sent out to look for lumber. I helped a very little to make three 37 mm guns -- out of wood.
     Laid around a lot. Hot. Wrote a letter to Otto.
     A fellow from Eagle Battery drove a motorcycle into the latrine. He smashed down the door, and knocked over Shermack. He got banged up a bit.
     Parade and review tonight.
     I took out good insurance tonight.
   
Tuesday, July 8, 1941     On quarters today again. Still have a fever and a bad hacking cough. No appetite at all. Laid around. Makes a long day, and no mail either.
     Most of the other fellows are on bivouac. Am all alone in the tent. My fever is worse tonight. Hot today.
     We may have to stay in the Army until the world crisis is over.

Sunday, August 10, 1941     Packed my things. Wrote to Norma and Ray. We anti-tankers had to turn our things in tonight. We'll have to sleep on bare springs.
     Hot. This will be my last night here for some time, I hope for good.
     A letter from George and Ethel.
     This is what the fellows have been talking about since I've been here: maneuvers, and the time has finally arrived. The National Guardsmen have gone through this before at Camp Ripley, and to hear them talk, it's more exciting than our daily camp life.

Monday, September 15, 1941     Was ready to move since 10:00. Pulled out at 11:00.
     Got here somewhere north of camp about 5 p.m. Started supper on the road. I rode in both the kitchen and the icebox truck. Raining most of the way. Blackout. I had to slice bacon in blackout. Slept on the kitchen table in the mess truck.

Sunday, December 7, 1941     Slept until 9:00. Made my own breakfast, which was fried eggs, bacon and toast.
     Went to church in the Service Club. Good service by Chaplain Walker.
     By the time church was out, so was the news of the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor. Probably this will affect my life very much in the future.
     Will go to the Service Club and to church again. Nice today.
     Chaplain Walker gave a real good sermon tonight as well. There were only 8 of us there. I got both of the Lucas brothers to go, and Sheppard.
     Undoubtedly, we will be on the alert or affected in some way. Some discharged fellows are to report back to their local boards.

Monday, January 5, 1942     Slept until 9:00. Wrote up the account in here for the past several days. Cold, even with the stove going. It's below zero. We are supposed to go by boat soon to a northern base. Right now, I really don't care what we do. Wrote home and to Patsy.
          We are cleaning up the area. There are group meetings, and inspection, which I don't have to stand.
          We got Springfield rifles today. All had to turn in their cameras, except me, of course. I started carrying it in my back pocket wrapped up in my handkerchief.

Thursday, January 15, 1942     Well, this is it, the Port of Embarkation: New York, New York. The ship, a peninsular and Oriental line steamer; the time, 12:15 a.m. My heart sank. First ocean I've seen, and the first ship.
          Walking up the gangplank was something I've heard and read about, but this was my experience. Partially carrying and partially dragging all equipment was an integral part of it.
          The ship looked as high as our big round-roofed barn at home and sounded like a big Malley locomotive in Proctor. You could hear steam coming out of her, and water was trickling down her sides. I saw my first portholes. She looked dirty but the one part of her character that stood out above all else is that she is big.
          We were herded down to H deck which is a ways down, as F deck is even with the water line. The whole battery was put in one large room of this deck, which is a part of the hold. About a dozen long tables with dishes put behind slats on an angle so they can't fall out when the ship rolls.
          Not sure if she is coal or oil fired. Lots of the fellows threw their belongings on the tables and then slept on them as well. I threw mine off in a corner, and was glad to have a corner on the floor to sleep.
          Had to help carry food tonight; the ship's galley-crew had slopped it together. It was nothing fancy.
          The Strathaird is an English ship run by Greeks. I'm assigned to table no. 196. Explored part of the ship. We don't have too many restrictions so far, except for smoking on deck. Guards are to shoot anyone exposing any light at night -- which includes a lit cigarette butt.

Saturday, January 24, 1942     Another rough day, but no enemy action as yet, so it's bearable. It's supposed to be almost over. The worn out joke is, "Don't worry, we are only a mile from land, now. Straight down."
          We've been told that the ship changes course constantly, as it is almost impossible for a submarine to torpedo a ship that does so.

Tuesday, March 17, 1942     Up at 7:30. Prepared to go firing. Went about 6 miles north. We all had to go through this. Fired my 45 rounds. Scored 148 out of a possible 225. Average.
     Worked this p.m. My ears ring, and shoulder is sore.
     American rations came in tonight. More than a 6X6 load. Don and I unpacked and cut pork chops. Was thankful to see all our own grub again. Will remember tonight. Got in grub that we hadn't seen in two months. The British food wasn't too bad really, for what that country has gone through, also the Irish.
     We got apples, other fruit, canned vegetables, lots of pork, bacon, dried eggs, etc., and a lot of my favorite: canned milk. It's just going to be more enjoyable cooking it up.
     Saint Patrick's Day as well. All the Irish were looking for 4-leaf clovers -- I mean shamrocks. All ages of people were looking.
     I walked down to the small Post Office north of camp to mail letters. One of my letters going home had a genuine Irish shamrock in it.

Saturday, May 30, 1942     Up at 4:00. A hurried breakfast, then loading, cleaning. Get in line with your detail, when all present and accounted for, we leave at 6:30. A long convoy, the first I can remember since Camp Claiborne. I couldn't estimate the number of trucks. The tarp was rolled back on the kitchen truck, but it was cold and windy. I enjoyed the scenery a lot.
          We got here at noon at Tynan Abbey. A huge place with a huge castle where the officers are going to stay, and Hurley and I are still going to be their cooks.
          It's a surprise for me, but we are not too far south of Armagh, where Dorothy is a pharmacist in her uncle's drug store. I'm not really excited, but find myself feeling sorry for Hurley. He will be much farther away from Nancy, who is still in Limavady.
          We are not far south of Tynan -- a little town, but the passenger train goes through every day.
          Hurley and I are quartered in the servants' quarters of the castle. It's on the west side and has the kitchen, a real long hallway to the officers' quarters, with many small rooms on the way on both sides of the hall. Then, on the other side of the kitchen, are the servants' quarters. Hurley and I have one room together, our choice. Russ, the Mess Sergeant, has a room of his own, and the officers' orderlies have their own room as well.
          The battery is a quarter mile away in a large field, but have enough buildings for cooking and eating. This castle must have been quite a place at one time. It's practically vacant now, except for a few "Lords" in the castle itself.

Wednesday, August 19, 1942     To bed at 1:00. Up at 4:30. Fried bread. Sausage for dinner.
     Slept until 3:00. This p.m. Bob Vaughn came to visit me until 5:00. Washed clothes, went to Milliken's myself. It gets dark now at 9:30, and it was well after that when I got back.
          Some bad news is that we are going to be moving in a few days to Enniskillen to the northeast. Both Peggy and I don't like the idea at all. The 175th is moving out, probably to combat in Africa, so things are beginning to change.

Monday, November 9, 1942     Bob and I on. Early before 5:00 Col. Sylvester came in and had coffee with us and said that US troops had landed in Morocco, Algiers. We asked him a few questions, but all he seemed to know was that the 175th was attached to an infantry division and had to be a part of the assault troops. He told us there would be much more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment