Thursday, November 22, 2012

AND THERE SHALL BE WARS (Excerpts 4)

Bud Wagner on computer, 1990's

Friday, July 7, 1944     Took a special out to the 522nd and 151. Stopped at Service Btry. Had brakes adjusted. Now I need two new universal joints. Always something.
     Slept some this p.m. Moved tonight with the battalion. Up a curving mountain road. Dusty, heavy traffic. Nearly had the choice of sideswiping a 6X6 or rolling over the bank. Got back at 10:30, and went right out again with an overlay. Back about 2 a.m.
     Jerry is still on the run; our forces are giving him no rest. During the day, our forward observers and air O.P. adjust fire on him at every opportunity. At night, harassing fire falls on the roads he is attempting to use as he retreats.

Saturday, September 9, 1944     Hot cakes for breakfast.
     Took Girth to the parade ground. The Division has a parade for presentation of awards to commemorate our 151's landing at Salerno 1 year ago today. I made 15,758 miles on my peep in this year in Italy.
     Our outfit moved tonight through the northwest part of Florence, back about midnight. Lots of traffic.

Monday, October 9, 1944     Ate breakfast. Raining, and a heavy fog. The outfit moved up #65, then back across 21 miles. I came back another way, past the 125th. It's only about half as far, but there's bad road most the way.
     Had to go back here at noon. It rained hard on the way up. I'm mud from head to foot. Last winter was bad, but this is worse. 91st Division is on Highway 65; wish we were there.
     Ham and I went out tonight together. Got stuck on the bad road, waited for over an hour before a 6X6 pulled us out. Back at 10:30.

Wednesday, November 22, 1944     Started for the battalion. Got almost to Livergeno when the transmission went to pieces. Left the peep sit and thumbed to the battery. Decker came along with his 6X6 and towed me to Service. No shells, fortunately, while getting it hooked up. Hitchhiked back here.
     Cleaned up; luckily I didn't have to go out, as I would have had to walk.
     It was the young Italian boy's funeral today. I didn't see it, but fellows said his dad had made a casket, and he was carried on the men's shoulders. Their home was a part of what the 151st took over as C.P. and Message Center.
     Our shooting has simmered down to almost nothing. It's 15 rounds per gun per day, plus 10% smoke, so we are not shooting much.
     The 133rd Infantry is back in the lines again. We are in direct support, taking over from the 91st Division. Highway 65 is now in our sector, with Bologna at the far end.

Thursday, December 14, 1944     Rained quite hard. Leaked a lot in here, and I had to move my bed. Up at 7:00. Had to take Maj. Williamson and Lt. Adams to Air O.P.
     It snowed around Loiano, and farther back last night. Got there to Faizengola at 11:00. Had a flat. Tony helped me fix it. Had another flat before I left. Exchanged spares with Tommy on my way back.
     Just missed a shelling at Loiano. I heard it come in. Two were killed; the back of a 6X6 was filled with blood and discarded equipment. A gruesome sight. I wonder how long my nerves will stand up, and my sanity.
     Back at 5:00. Didn't go to the battalion, as my peep is on the blink. I lost the muffler, and the piston rods are knocking.

Thursday, December 21, 1944     Took my peep to Service. Roads are terrible, even #65. Had to leave the peep there and hitchhike back.
     Walked to the battalion tonight. Took almost 4 hours both ways. Had a mail bag half full of junk to carry. The trail is very muddy; it was hard walking. I'm completely tired out, or to put it another way, I'm completely out of horsepower tonight.

Wednesday, January 17, 1945     Clear again. Got quite a few letters and Christmas cards from home, Ray, and Peggy.
     Germans shelled Highway 65 heavily yesterday. The Russians have started their winter offensive and are advancing. Our 5th Army Front remains stagnant.
     Dick and I went out tonight to both battalions. No action. I got a paper from home.

Thursday, January 25, 1945     Strasser, South and Beechum are the agents from the 88th Division, and then Dick and I. Really a unique group. Seem to fit in here much better than with the 91st Division.
     We have a gasoline stove in here as well, and it's fairly comfortable. To the battalion twice, but it's only about a mile. Stopped to see Don. Got a book from him,  Fair are the Meadows by Ingles.
     We are north of Loiano a ways, on the main road in a big building. This building too could have been a rooming house, restaurant, inn, etc. Anyway, the 88th has taken it over.
     An Evacuation Hospital just to the rear was reported shelled, either by mistake or on purpose.
     Well, this Division is a little different. Joe Beechum is an older fellow from Carolina; I like to hear him talk -- he has that slow drawl. He has been around, and "knows his onions." Strasser is just the opposite: he's young and a little naive, but he's not an aggravator -- and South, a middle-of-the-road guy who is easy to live with.
     I got a light bulb from my old pal, Dengler, and we hooked it up in our room. But the fellow who said he was in charge of the generator said the bulb was too big for "his" generator, and we couldn't use it. Everything he talked about, he used the words "mine" and "I," and everything he was in charge of was "his." So unusual, it was almost funny. But he is almost a newcomer in the Army, and has a lot to learn. We still use the light bulb.
     This place is an ideal one for agents to live in. It's a big room, the weather is beginning to get warmer, and we have hopes of breaking out of this area soon. Joe keeps us interested most of the time, and Dick has been telling us things he saw when he went to Pompeii.

Monday, March 5, 1945     The guard wakes us every morning at 6:45. Chow is from 7 to 7:30.
     Changed 2 tires on my peep. I have the new one on the chassis, and the old one for a spare. Shaved and washed.
     Kept my appointment with Dr. Kipper. He's a real good worker.
     Went to Service Battery this p.m. and had Tim weld one of the fenders.
     Read over my diary in part. Am glad I've been keeping it. I might possibly turn it into a book someday.
     The 88th, or "Lookouts," have started to move out -- they will take over 91st Division Artillery, and go back to their old positions. 34th Division Headquarters will take over legion and be in High Command of this sector.    
     I dislike leaving this little room. Wish we could all be together again with the 34th. Lots of 34th vehicles on the road again today: Signal, Division Hq. 168th and 133rd.
     We had Spam for dinner cooked with pineapple. I got what I wanted, the scrapings of the pan.
     To the battalion again. No mail. Quiet, went to bed early.

Wednesday, March 28, 1945     Got to our position on the river bank at 3:15 a.m. I had to come back then to 88th Division Artillery; it was about 4:00 then, so I just went to sleep on the front seats of the peep.
     Woke up at 6:15, cold, stiff and damp. Dick came here at 9:00. The 88th's agents have moved out, so Dick and I are taking their place. It's in a barn, but I am comfortable. One fellow gave me a good light, a fancy bed-lamp, so I am well contented.
     Went to the battalion right after supper. It just takes 15 minutes, and a good road. Back at 6:00.
     Am very tired, but will write home and read awhile. No shells coming in, and very few going out.
     Our armies on the Western Front are making spectacular drives into the heart of Germany. Again -- who does that guy Hitler think he is? Doesn't he know, or does he just refuse to believe?

Monday, May 7, 1945     Lt. Grueber and I made the trip again. Went to Varese, where Division Artillery will be moving. Beautiful weather and country. Can see Mt. Rosa from here. Switzerland is very close, but we have strict orders to keep away.
     On the way back as we were passing through a little village, the whistles were blowing and people were cheering. The war in Europe is over!

     I started blowing my horn.
     We'd been expecting this, but didn't know exactly when it was coming. This was the final full surrender of Germany, and officially it. Admiral Freideburg and Gen. Jodl signed the unconditional German surrender at Gen. Eisenhower's Headquarters. British, French, Soviet and American representatives were all present. Military operations were to cease at 23:01 on 8 May, 1945. Two merchant ships sunk by U-2326 at the Firth of Forth in Scotland were the last U-boat victims of World War II.
     We had been feeling as if we were at a basketball game with the score 40 to 65, with 3 minutes left to play. The full benefit of the victory doesn't come until the game is really over. But now it was over.

Thursday, July 12, 1945     Up at 1 a.m. Ate. Waited, then boarded the C-46 at 2:30. Stopped at Berlin, Brazil at 9:00. Ate again. In the air at 10:00. Landed at 2:00 in British Guiana. Off again at 2:30. Landed at 6:00 in Puerto Rico. Ate. Off again at 7:00. Landed in Miami, Florida at 12:30 a.m. Made 3,960 miles in 19 hours.
     Fitzgerald and I showered and shaved.
     Went to the Red Cross and called home. Mom was asleep, but she answered the phone. Arlene said hello too. It was about 2:30 a.m. here before I finally got the call through. I'm really thankful to hear their voices again.
     We each had an ice cream dish, and tried to soak up as much of the USA that we could. This too is a large-sized base.

Sunday, July 15, 1945     Had to stand one more formation. Went to church. Boarded the train about 5 p.m. and took off. Stopped at a little Georgia town for two hours some time after midnight. Everybody got out, and Roy and I met two pretty girls. Bought a watermelon and ate most of it. We're riding on Pullman cars.
   
Saturday, July 21, 1945     My head was full of thoughts all the way. Got to Duluth at 6 a.m. this morning, and walked to the Farmer's Market. Ray, Roger and Arlene were there. I took the truck home and saw the folks. Went back to the Market and talked to a lot of people.
     Home at last. All the relatives came tonight and sort of celebrated my birthday with my homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment